In the midst of the 2020 worldwide reawakening of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging efforts, people were asking what they could do to make a difference. ‘Start Where You Are’ began with the goal to provide some answers and to challenge individuals to do what’s in their own personal control to create a more equitable and inclusive workplace. Each week features a new activity to prompt us to make small steps that can collectively bring about new and positive outcomes.
Some of the challenges come in the form of thought-provoking reflections, such as:
- Consider the diversity of the people you ultimately serve.
- Ask yourself what you are doing to demonstrate your organization’s commitment to DEI&B.
- Ask yourself whether you value your comfort over progress.
- Acknowledge the ego in identifying your “normal” as the standard.
- Ask yourself if and why you feel challenged by other perspectives of American history.
- Evaluate how you judge people outside of work versus the diverse people you work and engage with regularly.
- Ask yourself if you would choose to be a multi-racial or otherwise diverse employee in your organization.